Historic items with close connections to the history of Plas Glyn-y-Weddw have been placed on display at the gallery with the help of funding from the Welsh Museums Federation.
A portrait of Sir Thomas Love Duncombe Jones Parry, a walking stick belonging to him and a print of coat of arms connected to the Madryn family are exhibited at the grade 2* listed mansion which houses a vibrant arts centre and situated on the Llŷn peninsula in north Wales.
The mansion was built in 1857 for Elizabeth Jones Parry of Madryn estate, she was Sir TLD Jones Parry’s mother and he inherited Glyn-y-Weddw following his mother’s death in 1883. He had already inherited most of the Madryn estate in 1853 when his father, Sir Love Parry Jones Parry died.
A colourful character and staunch supporter of the Welsh language and culture, he served as Member of Parliament for Caernarfonshire between 1868 and 1874, he was MP for the Borough of Caernarfon from 1882 until 1886. He was made a baronet by Prime Minister Gladstone for his services to the Liberal Party.
The portrait on display was painted by the artist W Fischer in 1875 and presented to his mother by her son’s constituents.
The walking stick was presented to Sir Love following being elected MP for Caernarfonshire and is engraved with a poem singing his praises.
Sir Love was very proud of his ancestry and the print shows 150 coats of arms belonging to the Welsh ancestors of the Jones Parry family. Heraldry is a prominent feature of Plas Glyn-y-Weddw’s architecture and coats of arms connected to the family can be found in the stained glass windows and on the finials of the hammer beam ends.
The portrait is owned by the Gwynedd Archives Service and has been transferred on long-term loan to Plas Glyn y Weddw.
During April 2015 professional conservation work was carried out on the painting by Rachel Howells and Hannah Tempest. The painting had deteriorated significantly over the years. We are grateful to the Friends of Plas Glyn y Weddw and the Association of Independent Museums, in partnership with The Pilgrim Trust, for funding the conservation work.